June 21 is World Humanist Day. It is a day to celebrate being a humanist. One thing humanists share is a desire to leave the world somewhat better than it was when we arrived on it. Not because this will promise us a future place in paradise, but simply because it is the right thing to do.
Humanists also pride themselves on having good critical thinking skills. The application of good critical thinking skills is important when considering how to donate time or money and how to find a worthy cause. Throughout early 2022 we will bring you information about thoughtful charity to help you to make wiser decisions about how to use your money and your time.
This year, we are inviting our fellow humanists to take part in a day of action that combines critical thinking and benevolence. We want you, alone or in a group of like-minded people, to take action that is well thought out and improves the world. We hope that you will share your activity with the organizing groups and possibly even share them with your local media.
Please sign up to tell us what you will be doing and where you will do it. And let us know how it is an act of thoughtful charity. If you would welcome other humanists to join you, we invite you to share your activity and we can help to promote it.
Please get involved and help us demonstrate how humanist values improve our communities locally, nationally, and internationally.
Ideas for World Humanist Day:
- Organize a roadside or park cleanup (check with your local municipality)
- Hold a garage sale and/or bake sale and donate the proceeds to a charity
- Host an event such as a move-a-thon (walk, run, bike, or swim) or board game marathon, and donate admission fees to charity
- Volunteer as a group for a local parade or festival (e.g., Canada Day)
- Organize a repair day where you help someone or teach someone to fix equipment, clothes, or other items
- Get involved with a citizen science project
- Or use your unique skills to find your own project
What is thoughtful giving? Read here for an introduction, and watch Critical Links for monthly updates.
Comments on “Thoughtful Giving and World Humanist Day”
Comments are closed.