Jerry Coyne was at CFIC T.O. on June 10th, 2015
On Wednesday, June 10th 2015, CFI Canada – Toronto welcomed:
Dr. Jerry A. Coyne, University of Chicago evolutionary geneticist
to present his new book Faith vs. FACT.
The event took place at OISE Auditorium. We sold out of his books at the event but may have some for sale at our National Office in Toronto. Jerry signed books for over half an hour after the talk, which was attended by more than 150 people.
Jerry A. Coyne is a Professor in the Department of Ecology and Evolution at the University of Chicago. He received a B.S. in Biology from the College of William and Mary and a Ph.D. in evolutionary biology at Harvard University. After a postdoctoral fellowship at The University of California at Davis, he took his first academic position as assistant professor in the Department of Zoology at The University of Maryland.
In 1996 he joined the faculty of The University of Chicago and has been there ever since. Coyne’s work has been largely concerned with the genetics of species differences, aimed at understanding the evolutionary processes that produce new species. He has written 115 scientific papers and more than 130 popular articles, book reviews, and columns, as well as a scholarly book about his research area—Speciation, co-authored with H. Allen Orr—and a trade book about the evidence for evolution—Why Evolution is True, which was a New York Times bestseller. His next book, Faith vs. Fact: Why Science and Religion are Incompatible (Viking/Penguin Random House) will appear in May, 2015. Coyne is a contributor The New York Times, The New Republic, The Times Literary Supplement, The Guardian, The Nation, USA Today, and other popular periodicals.
- Science and Philosophy Book Club: Discussion with Dan Falk, Author of “In Search of Time”
- Lunch with Dr. Eugenie Scott
- Dr. Ben Goldacre was in Toronto, Sunday May 15th
- Bob Ripley – “Life Beyond Belief”
- Tony Ortega & Paulette Cooper: The Unbreakable Miss Lovely
- Ongoing Events
- Timothy Caulfield: “Is Gwyneth Paltrow Wrong About Everything?”
- The Science of Shakespeare – a talk by Dan Falk
- Catherine Dunphy at CFIC T.O. Wed. Sep. 16th
- Darwin Day at CFIC Toronto
- Acupuncturists in Ontario Now Regulated by Self-Regulating Body
- Richard Carrier at CFIC T.O. Oct. 23rd
- Bigfoot lived! at CFIC T.O.
- Welcome to Centre For Inquiry Canada Toronto!
- Dr. Afzal Upal
- Pierre Desrochers – “The Locavore’s Dilemma”
- Winter Solstice Fundraising Dinner at CFIC T.O.
- CFIC T.O.’s Saturnalia Party & Auction!!!