Carl Sagan Day 2014 at CFI Canada!
On or around Sunday, November 9th, 2014 CFI Canada honoured the late great Dr. Carl Sagan.
We thank everyone at our branches who pulled together a Carl Sagan Day event. It was great to see so many people come out and enjoy their time spent with other like-minded people who want to foster a thriving CFI Canada community.
Jeff Ainslie at CFI Calgary reported that a hearty bunch of Calgarian members braved the weather and showed up to the branch’s Sagan event. The city’s first blast of winter started the night before with freezing rain turning to snow. Neither snow nor sleet nor gloom of night stayed these CFI Saganites!
At CFI Ottawa, 17 attendees including Diane Bruce, celebrated Dr. Sagan’s life as an exceptional skeptic, astronomer and science educator by meeting at the The Royal Oak pub on the Canal. Kevin Brown gave an inspiring talk and quiz.
Taking a evening trip to the Halifax Planetarium to learn about the wonders of the universe was an excellent way for Shawn Wilson and 15 people at CFI Halifax to recognize Carl Sagan Day. To get things off on a good note, 10 of those people met up before the show and had an enjoyable dinner. Apple pie for dessert?
Volunteers at the CFI Toronto branch and CFI Canada National Executive Director, Eric Adriaans, hosted an animated and engaged celebration of Sagan’s life at the national headquarters on Sunday afternoon.
Refreshments were served and clips of both Cosmos series were screened. It was a lively atmosphere as 20 attendees mingled and were greeted at the door by an unexpected…host.
Watch our announcements for 2015 Carl Sagan Day plans at CFI Canada!
- Secular Community Services
- Upcoming Events at CFI Canada
- History of Centre for Inquiry Canada
- CFI Canada at the Office of Religious Freedom’s EAC
- Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- Secular Humanists and Atheists Grieve With the Nation
- CFIC’s founding principles
- CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
- How To Help
- History and Mandate
- Press Centre
- What is CFIC
- Is God a Figment of our Imagination?
- Canada Deserves Better Than Pope John Paul II Day
- CFI Manitoba
- February 26 – Avijit Roy Day Honouring Murdered Atheist Writers in Bangladesh
- Assisted Dying in Canada: Where Do We Go From Here
- Living Without Religion
- Unfriending the Future: Motivated Empathy in Science and Political Advocacy
- From the Cradle to the Grave
- Welcome to CFI-Victoria
- Founders of Centre for Inquiry Canada
- Supreme Court Decision
- Timothy Caulfield coming to Ottawa
- CFIC Branches
- Grandmother Fish
- A conversation, a challenge, a risk.
- Who is CFIC, and what do we do?
- Are Organized Religions a Possible Public Health Hazard “Vector”? Apparently we have our job to do…
- CFIC Library needs your help!
- 2016 CFIC AGM and Elections Notice
- 2018 Message from the Chair of the Board of Directors
- CFI Membership
- CFIC Discourse #5: Blasphemy
- AP REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER A ENT USA CA
- Pro-Vaccination Art
- Ask the Religion Experts: Should we boycott the Sochi Olympics?
- CFIDiscourse #1: A Christian in Favour of Atheist Billboards
- New CFIC Logo Designs
- Raif Badawi
- CFIC Condemns Superstition-based Violence
- Vaccine records – Who’s responsible?
- CFIDiscourse #2: On Pseudo-skepticism and the Vice of Open-Mindedness
- Thanks for supporting CFI Canada
- Canada’s Standing Committee on Health (HESA): Report 13
- Governance Documents
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- Become a CFI Canada Student Affiliate
- CFI Canada Condemns All Faith-Based Violence
- Problems with PayPal?
- Secular Humanists Grieve with the LGBTQ Community of Orlando, FLA
- Crisis in Nepal: What can we do?
- International Human Rights