Unfriending the Future: Motivated Empathy in Science and Political Advocacy
Speaker: Michael Kruse: Executive Director of Bad Science Watch
Hosted by: University of Toronto Secular Alliance
Date: March 7th 2017, 7 to 9 pm
Hart House, Debates Room
7 Hart House Circle
- Free Admission, please RVSP via Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/unfriending-the-future-motivated-empathy-in-science-and-political-advocacy-tickets-32381825913
- Optional donation to Bad Science Watch
About the Event:
When we are faced with the irrational and conspiratorial claims of the alternative medicine community the science minded community often responds with anger, incredulity and frustration. Sometimes these messages are not from the easy targets of the fringe but from our own family and friends. But how often has our argumentative response been effective? It is worth taking a look at not only our goals and our tactics, but our audience as well. We know that psychological phenomena like the backfire effect combine with ideological anti-corporate attitudes to work against any rational arguments, we have seen it happen time and again. This was the state of frustration we were in when we started Bad Science Watch. We made a decision to think about our audience and set goals focused on making real change. This talk will focus on the role that empathy plays in picking targets and setting goals and the success we have had in creating a message that has resonated with our audience and supporters.
About Bad Science Watch:
Bad Science Watch is an independent non-profit consumer protection watchdog and science advocacy organization dedicated to improving the lives of Canadians by countering bad science. We are driven by a vision of a safer, healthier, and more prosperous Canada where critical thinking and sound science are paramount in the making of important societal decisions.
About the University of Toronto Secular Alliance (UTSA):
The University of Toronto Secular Alliance (UTSA) is an organization dedicated to building a community at U of T for those adhering to non-religious worldviews including atheists, agnostics, Secular Humanists, and Freethinkers. Through our weekly meetings and events, we provide a forum where all ideas and beliefs can be examined, critiqued, and challenged through discourse that is civil, intellectual, and insightful. Find us on Facebook: @uoftsecular
- History of Centre for Inquiry Canada
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- Is God a Figment of our Imagination?
- Welcome to the Centre for Inquiry
- Who is CFIC, and what do we do?
- Secular Community Services
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- February 26 – Avijit Roy Day Honouring Murdered Atheist Writers in Bangladesh
- SOS: Secular Sobriety
- Timothy Caulfield coming to Ottawa
- Spoon Bending and Higher Learning
- Carl Sagan Day 2014 at CFI Canada!
- History and Mandate
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- New CFIC Logo Designs
- “Mythinformation”: Robert Price vs Bart Ehrman
- CFIC Branches
- 20140815_G JerryCoyne_0755 (Large)
- International Human Rights
- 2018 Message from the Chair of the Board of Directors
- CFIC Discourse
- CFI Canada Board of Directors
- Canada is Repealing its Blasphemy Law
- CFI Manitoba
- Welcome members
- Thanks for supporting CFI Canada
- How To Help
- Upcoming Events at CFI Canada
- Update on Parliamentary Petition e-382 calling for the elimnation of Canada’s anti-blasphemy law
- Will You Make a Commitment to Reason and Science Today?
- What is CFIC
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- Grandmother Fish
- From the Cradle to the Grave
- A Call for Justice
- Membership levels
- Vaccine records – Who’s responsible?
- CFI US Presents: Women in Secularism III
- CFIC Library needs your help!
- Pro-Vaccination Art
- CFIC’s Mission, Vision, and Values
- Secular Humanists Grieve with the LGBTQ Community of Orlando, FLA
- Supreme Court Decision
- CFI Canada at the Office of Religious Freedom’s EAC
- Secular Humanists and Atheists Grieve With the Nation
- Support Secularism in British Columbia
- The Cave Painter
- Problems with PayPal?
- CFIDiscourse #1: A Christian in Favour of Atheist Billboards
- CFIC Core Areas of Focus
- Are Organized Religions a Possible Public Health Hazard “Vector”? Apparently we have our job to do…
- Charlie Hebdo and the Question of Blasphemy
- Atheist Bloggers Risking Their Lives
- Become a CFI Canada Student Affiliate