Timothy Caulfield coming to Ottawa
CFI Canada is proud to present Timothy Caulfield in Ottawa (May 6).
The speaking engagement, “When Celebrity Culture and Science Clash”, will give attendees an extremely informative take on everything from holistic medicines to fad diets, from the mouth of the acclaimed Timothy Caulfield, the Research Director of the Health Law Institute at the University of Alberta. The event is a single feature speaking engagement, and will appeal to everyone who is interested in critical thought, the health debate or science in general.
Timothy has been named one of “Alberta’s 50 Most Influential People 2014.” His explosive new book “Is Gwyneth Paltrow Wrong About Everything? When Celebrity Culture and Science Clash” challenges pseudoscientific and sometimes dangerous advice from celebrities.
He spent a year not only extensively researching and talking to a myriad of experts, but also trying some celebrity-recommended health, diet and beauty routines. And he will be giving a vivid recounting of his experiences in attempting these pseudoscientific remedies and practices, and discuss the benefits, if any, and detriments of such programs.
Caulfield and his new book are making a difference with headlines such as “How Science tells us to Ignore Celebrity Endorsements“ New Scientist, and “Caulfield Offers Straight-Forward, Science-Based Advice for Health and Wellness“ MetroNews Canada. He is also in high demand for media interviews. Recent Canadian interviews can be found in the Ottawa Citizen, Edmonton Journal, Huffington Post, CBC Radio’s The Current, QR77’s Kingkade and Breakenridge and many more.
About Timothy Caulfield: He is a Canada Research Chair in Health Law and Policy and a Professor in the Faculty of Law and the School of Public Health at the University of Alberta. He has been the Research Director of the Health Law Institute at the University of Alberta since 1993. Over the past several years he has been involved in a variety of interdisciplinary research endeavours that have allowed him to publish over 300 articles and book chapters. He is a Fellow of the Trudeau Foundation and the Principal Investigator for a number of large interdisciplinary projects that explore the ethical, legal and health policy issues associated with a range of topics, including stem cell research, genetics, patient safety, the prevention of chronic disease, obesity policy, the commercialization of research, complementary and alternative medicine and access to health care.
- Spoon Bending and Higher Learning
- Canada’s Standing Committee on Health (HESA): Report 13
- CFIC Library needs your help!
- US to tighten rules on homeopathic “medicines”
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- Is it Science?
- From the Cradle to the Grave
- Canada is Repealing its Blasphemy Law
- Founders of Centre for Inquiry Canada
- History of Centre for Inquiry Canada
- CFI Canada at the Office of Religious Freedom’s EAC
- CFIC Logo Designs
- Election Process
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- Are Organized Religions a Possible Public Health Hazard “Vector”? Apparently we have our job to do…
- CFIC’s Mission, Vision, and Values
- Support Secularism in British Columbia
- CFIC Discourse
- Policy Statements
- Against Quebec’s Bill C21
- 2015/2016 Flu Shot is a Good Idea
- Grandmother Fish
- Secular Human Rights Campaigns
- February 26 – Avijit Roy Day Honouring Murdered Atheist Writers in Bangladesh
- Is God a Figment of our Imagination?
- Will You Make a Commitment to Reason and Science Today?
- Unfriending the Future: Motivated Empathy in Science and Political Advocacy
- CFI Canada Board of Directors
- Assisted Dying in Canada: Where Do We Go From Here
- Pro-Vaccination Art
- CFIC’s founding principles
- 20140815_G JerryCoyne_0755 (Large)
- CFI Manitoba
- Become a CFI Canada Student Affiliate
- Supreme Court Decision
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- Secular Humanists and Atheists Grieve With the Nation
- History and Mandate
- International Women’s Day
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- Welcome members
- Thanks for supporting CFI Canada
- How To Help
- Atheist Bloggers Risking Their Lives
- Welcome to the Centre for Inquiry
- A Call for Justice
- Update on Parliamentary Petition e-382 calling for the elimnation of Canada’s anti-blasphemy law
- CFIC’s Ethical Perspectives
- Canada’s Blasphemous Libel Law
- International Human Rights
- CFIC Branches
- CFI Membership
- CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
- Another Pediatric Death by World View