Secular Humanists and Atheists Grieve With the Nation
Centre for Inquiry Canada (CFIC) is appalled by the murders of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo and WO Patrice Vincent and the threat to Canadian soldiers, police officers and citizens that the murder of these soldiers implies. CFIC wishes to express its grief and condolence to the families and friends of the men who lost their lives this week in these terrible acts of violence.
CFIC thanks the people who risk their lives to protect Canadians every day. House of Commons Sergeant-At-Arms Kevin Vickers, Nathan Cirillo and Patrice Vincent are among the soldiers, police officers, reservists and other armed forces and security personnel who have risked and far too often lost their lives to protect all Canadians from violence and harm.
Centre For Inquiry Canada also extends its thanks to the bystanders, first responders and medical professionals who attempted to save the lives of Nathan Cirillo and Patrice Vincent.
“Events such as these shock and offend all people of Canada. Centre For Inquiry Canada joins all Canadians in rejecting the violence and hatred promulgated by murders such as these,” said Kevin Smith, Chair of CFIC’s Board of Directors. “We value reason and a rational approach to understanding and addressing these crimes as our country investigates any immediate and deeper-seated causes.”
Soldiers, doctors, nurses, police officers, first responders and government officials are all a part of the secular social system that protects all Canadians from harm and violence. CFIC is committed to critically examining these incidents and their causes and we invite Canadians join us in these inquiries.
“I urge Canadians to educate themselves on the advantages of a secular approach to governance and lawmaking in Canada,” said Veronica Abbass, Chair, CFI Canada’s Committee for the Advancement of Human Rights. “A secular government and a secular legal system contribute to protecting all Canadians from the vagaries of cultural or religious ideologies.”
“I have spoken with Centre For Inquiry Canada volunteers, members and supporters across the country,” said Eric Adriaans, CFI Canada’s National Executive Director. “Secular Humanists and atheists share the grief, anger, confusion and distress that these crimes have created. We are committed to the protection of human rights and safety which are provided by Canada’s secular governance and legal systems.”
As a national educational charity, CFIC promotes and provides education on the application of reasonable and rational approaches that include skepticism, secularism and humanism.
- CFI condemns attacks on religious groups in Egypt
- Policy Statements
- Secular Humanists Grieve with the LGBTQ Community of Orlando, FLA
- New CFIC Logo Designs
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- Will You Make a Commitment to Reason and Science Today?
- Who is CFIC, and what do we do?
- Spring is late – deadline extended for the Colouring Contest
- How To Help
- International Human Rights
- Governance Documents
- Secular Community Services
- CFI Canada Condemns All Faith-Based Violence
- Atheist Bloggers Risking Their Lives
- CFI Manitoba
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- Press Release – Deny Law School Accreditation to Anti-Gay University
- CFIC Library needs your help!
- Crisis in Nepal: What can we do?
- CFI Canada at the Office of Religious Freedom’s EAC
- Welcome to the Centre for Inquiry
- Press Centre
- Secular Human Rights Campaigns
- 2015/2016 Flu Shot is a Good Idea
- From the Cradle to the Grave
- February 26 – Avijit Roy Day Honouring Murdered Atheist Writers in Bangladesh
- Pro-Vaccination Art
- CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- Grandmother Fish
- CFIC Condemns Superstition-based Violence
- Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom
- Canada’s Standing Committee on Health (HESA): Report 13
- A Call for Justice
- James Randi in Toronto!
- Raif Badawi
- Canada Deserves Better Than Pope John Paul II Day
- Supreme Court Decision
- STAND UP FOR SCIENCE
- LGTBQ people not welcome at BC law school
- Exposing the harmful pseudoscience of “alternative medicine”
- Assisted Dying in Canada: Where Do We Go From Here
- Thanks for supporting CFI Canada
- Center for Inquiry – US Campus Affiliates
- Canada’s Blasphemous Libel Law
- SOS: Secular Sobriety
- Catholic School Board Breaking the Law, Complaint Alleges
- Secular alternatives for crucial community services
- Not Over Yet! Humanists Should Speak out on the Right to Die with Dignity
- Become a CFI Canada Student Affiliate
- Carl Sagan Day 2014 at CFI Canada!
- History and Mandate
- CFI US Presents: Women in Secularism III
- CFIDiscourse #1: A Christian in Favour of Atheist Billboards