Secular Humanists and Atheists Grieve With the Nation
Centre for Inquiry Canada (CFIC) is appalled by the murders of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo and WO Patrice Vincent and the threat to Canadian soldiers, police officers and citizens that the murder of these soldiers implies. CFIC wishes to express its grief and condolence to the families and friends of the men who lost their lives this week in these terrible acts of violence.
CFIC thanks the people who risk their lives to protect Canadians every day. House of Commons Sergeant-At-Arms Kevin Vickers, Nathan Cirillo and Patrice Vincent are among the soldiers, police officers, reservists and other armed forces and security personnel who have risked and far too often lost their lives to protect all Canadians from violence and harm.
Centre For Inquiry Canada also extends its thanks to the bystanders, first responders and medical professionals who attempted to save the lives of Nathan Cirillo and Patrice Vincent.
“Events such as these shock and offend all people of Canada. Centre For Inquiry Canada joins all Canadians in rejecting the violence and hatred promulgated by murders such as these,” said Kevin Smith, Chair of CFIC’s Board of Directors. “We value reason and a rational approach to understanding and addressing these crimes as our country investigates any immediate and deeper-seated causes.”
Soldiers, doctors, nurses, police officers, first responders and government officials are all a part of the secular social system that protects all Canadians from harm and violence. CFIC is committed to critically examining these incidents and their causes and we invite Canadians join us in these inquiries.
“I urge Canadians to educate themselves on the advantages of a secular approach to governance and lawmaking in Canada,” said Veronica Abbass, Chair, CFI Canada’s Committee for the Advancement of Human Rights. “A secular government and a secular legal system contribute to protecting all Canadians from the vagaries of cultural or religious ideologies.”
“I have spoken with Centre For Inquiry Canada volunteers, members and supporters across the country,” said Eric Adriaans, CFI Canada’s National Executive Director. “Secular Humanists and atheists share the grief, anger, confusion and distress that these crimes have created. We are committed to the protection of human rights and safety which are provided by Canada’s secular governance and legal systems.”
As a national educational charity, CFIC promotes and provides education on the application of reasonable and rational approaches that include skepticism, secularism and humanism.
- Secular Humanists Grieve with the LGBTQ Community of Orlando, FLA
- Policy Statements
- In the year 2018, we should not have to say this.
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- History of Centre for Inquiry Canada
- CFI Canada Condemns All Faith-Based Violence
- CFIC Logo Designs
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- Will You Make a Commitment to Reason and Science Today?
- International Human Rights
- What is CFIC
- Spring is late – deadline extended for the Colouring Contest
- How To Help
- Who is CFIC, and what do we do?
- CFIC’s Mission, Vision, and Values
- About CFIC
- Membership levels
- Canada’s Blasphemy Law
- CFIC’s Mission
- Atheist Bloggers Risking Their Lives
- Welcome to the Centre for Inquiry
- Secular Community Services
- Update on Parliamentary Petition e-382 calling for the elimnation of Canada’s anti-blasphemy law
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- Governance Documents
- Secular Human Rights Campaigns
- CFI Manitoba
- Centre for Inquiry Globally
- Crisis in Nepal: What can we do?
- Unfriending the Future: Motivated Empathy in Science and Political Advocacy
- CFI Canada Board of Directors
- CFIC’s founding principles
- CFIC Branches
- From the Cradle to the Grave
- CFIC Condemns Superstition-based Violence
- CFI Canada at the Office of Religious Freedom’s EAC
- 2015/2016 Flu Shot is a Good Idea
- February 26 – Avijit Roy Day Honouring Murdered Atheist Writers in Bangladesh
- CFIC Library needs your help!
- A Call for Justice
- 2016 CFIC AGM and Elections Notice
- CFI Magazines
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- Welcome to CFI-Victoria
- Press Centre
- Pro-Vaccination Art
- Support Secularism in British Columbia
- CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
- Canada’s Standing Committee on Health (HESA): Report 13
- CFIC Councillor Membership
- Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom
- Canada is Repealing its Blasphemy Law
- SOS: Secular Sobriety