From the Cradle to the Grave
In October 2014, CFI Canada advised its members, volunteers and supporters of a National Day of Action and Solidarity with Dying With Dignity, a charitable organization focussed on advancing Canada’s position on physician-assisted death. Our website post from that date may be found at the bottom of this article.
On February 6th, 2015 the Supreme Court of Canada released its judgment in the case of Carter Vs. Canada (see the BC Civil Liberties Association regarding this case) and effectively created a 12-month window for the federal government to draft new legislation on physician-assisted death in Canada.
Recently, Dying With Dignity announced to the media that they had lost their charitable status. There have been many media reports on this story all reiterating some common themes: CRA found that DWD did not fulfill its educational programming. Despite this setback, DWD has not given up on advancing human rights.
You Can Take Action and Be Involved During A Critical Period of Human Rights History in Canada!
Understand The Issues
Two organizations have led this important initiative: BC Civil Liberties Association and Dying With Dignity. CFIC recommends that you follow these organizations throughout 2015 to understand the process.
As a critical thinking inquiry, CFIC also proposes that its members examine “Cradle to the Grave” approaches of the religious community and the healthcare system (first noted in Eric Adriaans post on Canadian Atheist). Religious organizations such as Campaign Life Coalition make it clear that they are interested to control not only members of their religions – but all people from the moment of conception to the end of “natural life”. There’s a striking connection in the language used by health care system to describe its priorities (http://blogs.forward.com/the-arty-semite/185450/a-cradle-to-grave-health-care-system-that-works/, http://theagenda.tvo.org/blog/agenda-blog/cradle-grave). When people are interested to convince an audience, it is important to use common language and connect on values and shared priorities.
CFIC has already asked if religions may be a vector for public health hazards. We’ve also asked our members to respond to the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons consultation on its Professional Obligations and Human Rights Policy. We note that the college has posted a Planning for and Providing Quality End of Life Care document on their website.
Monitor the Process and Contribute Your Perspective
Effective July 2015, the federal government has assigned a 3-person panel to advise on the matter of physician-assisted death. According to a CBC report, “Harvey Max Chochinov, the Canada research chair in palliative care at the University of Manitoba, will head the panel. The other two members are Catherine Frazee, a former co-director of the Ryerson-RBC Institute for Disability Studies Research and Education, and Benoît Pelletier, a University of Ottawa law professor and former Quebec Liberal cabinet minister.”
An FAQ regarding physician assisted dying has been posted by the federal government (http://ep-ce.ca/en/faqs/#q1) which indicates online tools will be developed to seek public input.
The place to obtain information: http://ep-ce.ca/en/
Dying With Dignity and Assisted Dying Media Reports and Articles
CFI Canada Post October 15, 2014
This day has been decades in the making. The 1993 decision in the Sue Rodriguez case upheld the federal law criminalizing members of the health care profession who assist sick and dying Canadians end their lives.
This October, the Supreme Court of Canada will hear compelling testimony in the Carter Challenge in support of medically assisted dying. Everyone is invited to participate in this historic moment.
Dying With Dignity Canada is the largest national organization in our country promoting quality end-of-life choices for Canadians who are grievously ill, have incurable illnesses, and are facing profound suffering before they die.
DWD’s rally in Ottawa is taking place at the Supreme Court of Canada (301 Wellington St, Ottawa)
Time: 12:30 PM
Date: October 15, 2014
Click here for more information about this and other DWD events.
- Not Over Yet! Humanists Should Speak out on the Right to Die with Dignity
- Physician-Assisted Death
- CFIC Discourse
- Assisted Dying in Canada: Where Do We Go From Here
- STAND UP FOR SCIENCE
- Supreme Court Decision
- Timothy Caulfield coming to Ottawa
- Crisis in Nepal: What can we do?
- James Randi in Toronto!
- Another Pediatric Death by World View
- Secular Human Rights Campaigns
- Canada to Uganda – CFI pushes gay rights against religious bigotry
- 2015/2016 Flu Shot is a Good Idea
- Raif Badawi
- Educational Programs and Services
- International Women’s Day
- Canada’s Standing Committee on Health (HESA): Report 13
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- CFI Canada at the Office of Religious Freedom’s EAC
- The Cave Painter
- Are Organized Religions a Possible Public Health Hazard “Vector”? Apparently we have our job to do…
- Secular alternatives for crucial community services
- Carl Sagan Day 2014 at CFI Canada!
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- CFIC Condemns Superstition-based Violence
- Catholic School Board Breaking the Law, Complaint Alleges
- Spoon Bending and Higher Learning
- CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
- Will You Make a Commitment to Reason and Science Today?
- Secular Community Services
- New CFIC Logo Designs
- Who is CFIC, and what do we do?
- Pro-Vaccination Art
- Canada’s Blasphemous Libel Law
- Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom
- CFI Canada Board of Directors
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- Atheist Bloggers Risking Their Lives
- Secular Humanists and Atheists Grieve With the Nation
- History and Mandate
- Contact Us
- Exposing the harmful pseudoscience of “alternative medicine”
- CFI to file human rights complaint alleging discrimination by Pattison Outdoor in Vancouver
- A Call for Justice
- Atheist advertisements have been rejected in Vancouver – again
- Ask the “religion experts” – a secular humanist perspective
- Iceland Removes Blasphemy Law!
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- Ask the Religion Experts: Should we boycott the Sochi Olympics?
- CFIC’s Ethical Perspectives
- Spring is late – deadline extended for the Colouring Contest
- Hitchmas 2015
- Charlie Hebdo and the Question of Blasphemy
- Secular Humanists Grieve with the LGBTQ Community of Orlando, FLA
- CFIC Library needs your help!
- An Evening with Penn Jillette- Every Day Is an Atheist Holiday!