February 1, 2016
Two groups representing atheists and Humanists are asking for God to be taken out of O Canada in a letter to Liberal MP Mauril Belangér.
Last week Belangér tabled Bill C-210, which would make the national anthem gender neutral. The BC Humanist Association and Centre for Inquiry Canada praised this symbolic move toward gender equality and asked the MP to amend the bill to also replace the line “God keep our land” with a secular alternative.
The organizations argue that the number of non-religious Canadians is rising and they should see their views reflected in our national symbols. The 2011 National Household Survey found that 24% of Canadians are not religious and a 2013 Justason Market Intelligence poll found that 64% of British Columbians do not practice a religion or faith.
Ian Bushfield, Executive Director of the BC Humanists said, “Progress comes in small and large steps. Symbols like the national anthem may not have a great effect on the day to day lives of most atheists but they matter nonetheless. This bill is an opportunity for MPs to recognize and celebrate the growing diversity of worldviews in the country.”
Eric Adriaans, National Executive Director of CFI Canada said, “Too often Canada has delayed important symbolic change with the result that we’ve repeated and entrenched divisive errors of the past. It’s time for our national anthem to embrace Canada’s culturally diverse future rather than the narrow perspectives of the past.”
– 30 –
Ian Bushfield, Executive Director
BC Humanist Association
The BC Humanist Association has been providing a community and voice for Humanists, atheists, agnostics and the non-religious of Metro Vancouver and British Columbia since 1984.
Eric Adriaans, National Executive Director
Centre For Inquiry Canada
CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
- CFIC Joins Call to Repeal Greek Blasphemy Law
- Reason For Change
- Congratulations to CFI (US) on Leadership Transition
- 17 Organizations Issue Joint Statement to PM Trudeau
- CFIC Condemns Ongoing Faith-Based Murders in Bangladesh
- Looking Back, Looking Forward: A Year-End Perspective For 2015/2016
- Paris, November 2015
- CFIC Discusses Bangladesh with UNHCR and ORF
- CFIC Implores the Canadian Government To Help Tareq Rahim
- CFI Canada: Setting Our Agenda
- CFIC Prince Edward Island
- C-14 Passed
- A Brief History of Secularism in Canada
- Planned Giving At Centre For Inquiry Canada
- John Hofsess: Humanist Perspectives
- York University
- Saskatchewan Wants a Secular Government
- Recollections of the Founding of CFI Canada
- Parliamentary E-Petition Opposing Canada’s Blasphemy Law
- CFI Regina
- Montreal Pride
- Chilliwack: Rejects Dawkins’ The Magic of Reality
- Muti: Traditional Medicine Practice in Africa
- End Blasphemy Laws Now!
- Extraordinary Claims Website
- City of Ottawa’s Hijab Day
- Getting Involved!
- Centre For Inquiry Canada Podcast
- Joint Statement Condemning Bangladesh Government
- Pseudo-Science: Inquiries into the Incursion of Pseudo-science into Health Services Education
- CFI Canada Applauds the Norwegian Government
- University of Toronto Scarborough
- 2016 Fundraising Campaign
- Kids For Inquiry Canada
- Quebec’s Bill 59: A Hate Speech Bill
- Institute of Holistic Nutrition
- United Way, Employee Giving and Centre For inquiry Canada
- Physician Assisted Dying: Use Science and Secular Values – Not Dogma
- Consumer Education and Advocacy
- Bangladesh: Protection For Secular Human Rights and Atheist Bloggers
- Saskatchewan Burlesque Controversy
- Canada’s New Parliamentary E-Petition System
- Canada’s 42nd Election: Secularism and Science
- CFIC Remembers Our Friends
- Thermal Imaging for Breast Cancer Not Approved in Canada
- Brad Wall’s Christmas Message: Should Saskatchewan Secularists Complain?
- Brussels March 2016
- Gifts in Kind at Centre For Inquiry Canada
- Critical Evaluation of Journalism: Deadly and Dangerous Pseudoscience
- CFI On Pseudo-Science and Religion in Healthcare
- CFIC Goes to Reason Rally 2016
- CFI Canada Discourse #3: Telepathy Proved !?
- CFI Canada Office Relocation
- Dangerous Dilutions
- Have You Ever Inquired About Services at a Naturopathic Clinic?
- Still Small Voices Book Launch
- Celsius42 TCS (Tumour Cell Solution) Inquiry
- CFIC’s Darwin Day Headquarters
- Pope Has Nerve Citing Ideology: (His trip to Cuba)