Lunch with Dr. Eugenie Scott
In 2014, to celebrate Charles Darwin’s birthday (February 12th – like you didn’t already know) CFI Toronto invited the community to have lunch with Dr. Eugenie Scott, physical anthropologist and now retired Executive Director of the National Center for Science Education.
We had a great time at L’espresso Bar Mercurio on Bloor St. (a few minutes walk from the ROM). Dr. Scott is one of the world’s leading critics of young earth creationism and intelligent design, but when the topic of theistic evolution was raised, the discussion got a bit more, shall we say…lively? After the fact, Eugenie graciously took photos and signed a number of autographs for all attendees. The price for a ticket was $10 and more than worth the cost. CFIC members received a discount (membership has its privileges!).
The lunch preceded Dr. Scott’s evening talk at the ROM in which she discussed what Charles Darwin would have thought of today’s creationist movements if he were still alive to see them. Dr. Scott’s talk was then followed by a performance of “The Rap Guide to Evolution” by artist and scholar, Baba Brinkman.
- Darwin Day at CFIC Toronto
- Jerry Coyne was at CFIC T.O. on June 10th, 2015
- The Atheist Muslim: with Ali A. Rizvi and Faisal Al Mutar
- Dr. Afzal Upal
- Richard Carrier at CFIC T.O. Oct. 23rd
- The Science of Shakespeare – a talk by Dan Falk
- Raheel Raza presented Honor Diaries
- Catherine Dunphy at CFIC T.O. Wed. Sep. 16th
- Ongoing Events
- Bob Ripley – “Life Beyond Belief”
- Winter Solstice Fundraising Dinner at CFIC T.O.
- Bigfoot lived! at CFIC T.O.
- Dr. Ben Goldacre was in Toronto, Sunday May 15th
- Our Winter Solstice Celebration!
- Lunch with Eugenie Scott Banner
- Losing Our Religion Documentary Screening
- Welcome to Centre For Inquiry Canada Toronto!
- Timothy Caulfield: “Is Gwyneth Paltrow Wrong About Everything?”
- Tony Ortega & Paulette Cooper: The Unbreakable Miss Lovely