LGTBQ people not welcome at BC law school
Last summer, Trinity Western University, a private liberal-arts school in B.C. applied to have its law school accredited by the Federation of Law Societies of Canada. Controversy arose within the legal and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities because all students, staff and faculty at the school must adhere to a covenant in which they agree not to engage in “sexual intimacy that violates the sacredness of marriage between a man and a woman.”
So what’s the harm, you may ask? Why shouldn’t a private university be able to set standards of behaviour for its students? How will anyone else suffer? Well, according to lawyer Clayton Ruby, the covenant in effect creates a “queer quota” in university law schools. Trinity Western law school would add 60 to the 3,547 slots Canadian universities currently have allocated for first-year law students. But, as Ruby says, “If you’re queer, you can’t apply to the extra 60 seats… We find that just to be anathema.”
Read the rest of the Globe and Mail article, here
Read the editorial, here
Read Canadian Atheist’s commentary, here.
Check out No Queer Quota – For Equality in Legal Education on Facebook
- Press Release – Deny Law School Accreditation to Anti-Gay University
- Catholic School Board Breaking the Law, Complaint Alleges
- Winnipeg Bus Shelter Ads Highlight Human Rights Violations
- Canada to Uganda – CFI pushes gay rights against religious bigotry
- Timothy Caulfield coming to Ottawa
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- Secular Human Rights Campaigns
- Canada’s Blasphemous Libel Law
- Press Centre
- Are Organized Religions a Possible Public Health Hazard “Vector”? Apparently we have our job to do…
- SOS: Secular Sobriety
- Spring is late – deadline extended for the Colouring Contest
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- CFI’s Equinox Celebrations in Toronto
- Secular Humanists and Atheists Grieve With the Nation
- Atheist Bloggers Risking Their Lives
- Supreme Court Decision
- Spoon Bending and Higher Learning
- CFIC Library needs your help!
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- Become a CFI Canada Student Affiliate
- History and Mandate
- International Human Rights
- Atheist advertisements have been rejected in Vancouver – again
- CFI Canada Resources for Students
- CFI to file human rights complaint alleging discrimination by Pattison Outdoor in Vancouver
- New CFIC Logo Designs
- James Randi in Toronto!
- Crisis in Nepal: What can we do?
- CFI condemns attacks on religious groups in Egypt
- Ask the “religion experts” – a secular humanist perspective
- Assisted Dying in Canada: Where Do We Go From Here
- CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- A Call for Justice
- Grandmother Fish
- CFI Canada at the Office of Religious Freedom’s EAC
- From the Cradle to the Grave
- CFI Membership
- Reactions to CFI’s Signs and Billboards
- International Women’s Day
- Pro-Vaccination Art
- Will You Make a Commitment to Reason and Science Today?
- Governance Documents
- Canada Deserves Better Than Pope John Paul II Day
- CFIDiscourse #1: A Christian in Favour of Atheist Billboards
- CFI Canada Condemns All Faith-Based Violence
- Raif Badawi
- Policy Statements
- Iceland Removes Blasphemy Law!
- Thanks for supporting CFI Canada
- Canada’s Standing Committee on Health (HESA): Report 13
- Who is CFIC, and what do we do?
- Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom
- CFI Manitoba
- Carl Sagan Day 2014 at CFI Canada!