Keeping Religion out of Schools in Alberta
On July 22, 2014, Ms Blog posted an article by Simone Lieban Levine “”Canadian Teen Gets Abstinence-Only Education Class Cancelled”. The article describes efforts by an Edmonton high school student, Emily Dawson and her family to have a mandatory abstinence-only workshop removed from her school. Congratulations and well done to Emily and Kathy Dawson!
We particularly want to echo Simone Lieban Levine summary comments: “Perhaps the actions of Emily Dawson and these American students signal a new student-led movement against ignorant and inaccurate sex education. It’s high time for only the real facts of life to be taught in schools.”
Ms Blog and Simone Lieban Levine deserve applause and support for posting the article and for reporting on this story and for advocating facts rather than faith in our schools.
You can find the original article here : http://msmagazine.com/blog/2014/07/22/canadian-teen-gets-abstinence-only-education-class-cancelled/
The Dawson’s victory should encourage organizations like CFI Canada as well as its individual members and volunteers to stay involved to keep religion and faith-based bigotry out of publicly funded schools.
- Extraordinary Claims Website
- Chilliwack: Rejects Dawkins’ The Magic of Reality
- Muti: Traditional Medicine Practice in Africa
- CFI Canada Discourse #3: Telepathy Proved !?
- City of Ottawa’s Hijab Day
- CFI On Pseudo-Science and Religion in Healthcare
- Ashu Solo vs City of Saskatoon and Randy Donauer
- A Brief History of Secularism in Canada
- Institute of Holistic Nutrition
- Pseudo-Science: Inquiries into the Incursion of Pseudo-science into Health Services Education
- Brussels March 2016
- End Blasphemy Laws Now!
- 17 Organizations Issue Joint Statement to PM Trudeau
- Paris, November 2015
- CFIC Condemns Ongoing Faith-Based Murders in Bangladesh
- Saskatchewan Burlesque Controversy
- CFI Canada: Setting Our Agenda
- York University
- Looking Back, Looking Forward: A Year-End Perspective For 2015/2016
- University of Toronto Scarborough
- CFIC Implores the Canadian Government To Help Tareq Rahim
- Saskatchewan Wants a Secular Government
- United Way, Employee Giving and Centre For inquiry Canada
- CFIC Discusses Bangladesh with UNHCR and ORF
- WiFi Rats
- Critical Evaluation of Journalism: Deadly and Dangerous Pseudoscience
- CFI Regina
- CFI Canada Applauds the Norwegian Government
- Recollections of the Founding of CFI Canada
- Quebec’s Bill 59: A Hate Speech Bill
- Brad Wall’s Christmas Message: Should Saskatchewan Secularists Complain?
- Canada’s 42nd Election: Secularism and Science
- Thermal Imaging for Breast Cancer Not Approved in Canada
- Newborn Examination
- O! Canada
- Dangerous Dilutions
- Celsius42 TCS (Tumour Cell Solution) Inquiry
- CFIC Joins Call to Repeal Greek Blasphemy Law
- Consumer Education and Advocacy
- Bangladesh: Protection For Secular Human Rights and Atheist Bloggers
- Joint Statement Condemning Bangladesh Government
- CFIC Remembers Our Friends
- Skull Suture Manipulation on Children with Autism and/or ADHD
- John Hofsess: Humanist Perspectives
- C-14 Passed
- CFIC’s Darwin Day Headquarters
- Pope Has Nerve Citing Ideology: (His trip to Cuba)
- ICABL Charter
- Getting Involved!
- CFI Halifax
- Science Over Naturopathy in Sentencing of David and Collet Stephan
- Congratulations to CFI (US) on Leadership Transition
- Parliamentary E-Petition Opposing Canada’s Blasphemy Law
- Reason For Change
- Physician Assisted Dying: Use Science and Secular Values – Not Dogma
- Kids For Inquiry Canada
- Canada’s New Parliamentary E-Petition System
- 304.1 BR-Role Description – Superintendent of Schools
- Have You Ever Inquired About Services at a Naturopathic Clinic?