Is God a Figment of our Imagination?
Religion and Society Debate: Dr. Michael Shermer and Dr. Alister McGrath
“Is God a Figment of Our Imagination?”
Is religious belief a vestige of a past age, destined for extinction,
and are the many religious adherents of the world, merely ignorant and
misguided? Or is there within the theistic framework a resonance with
reality that presses the notion of God beyond the mere subjective
musings of those that claim it to be so?
Join CFI Canada and Wycliffe College for a dialogue between two
leading thinkers who have thoughtfully wrestled with this question,
each not only having embarked on a personal pilgrimage, but each
bringing a lifetime of erudition, experience, and insights to bear on
this theme. Dr. Alister McGrath, the atheist who would become a
theist, and Dr. Michael Shermer, the theist who would become an
atheist. Join us at Convocation Hall, University of Toronto for an
engaging two hours of thoughtful dialogue on one of histories greatest
For a quarter century, Dr. Shermer has been a leader in the promotion
of Science, Reason, and Secular Values. He is the Publisher of Skeptic
magazine, a monthly columnist for Scientific American, and a
Presidential Fellow at Chapman University where he teaches Skepticism
101. He is the author of Why People Believe Weird Things, Why Darwin
Matters, The Science of Good and Evil, and The Moral Arc. His next
book is Heavens on Earth: The Scientific Search for the Afterlife,
Immortality & Utopia.
Dr McGrath holds the Andreas Idreos Professorship in Science and
Religion at the University of Oxford. As a former atheist, McGrath is
respectful yet critical of the movement. In recent years, he has been
especially interested in the emergence of “scientific atheism”, and
has researched the distinctive approach to atheist apologetics found
in the writings of the Oxford zoologist and scientific populariser
Richard Dawkins. He regularly engages in debate and dialogue with
leading atheists, and is presently researching the iconic role played
by Charles Darwin in atheist apologetics.
The debate will be at 7:30 p.m., Friday 15 September, at University of
Toronto’s Convocation hall. Details and tickets available at:
Exclusive CFI members luncheon with Dr Michael Shermer
CFI Toronto is pleased to offer members the opportunity to attend an
intimate luncheon with Skeptics Society founder Dr. Michael Shermer.
The luncheon will be held at 12:00 noon, Friday 15 September, at the
Duke of York (39 Prince Arthur Avenue).
Dr. Shermer will be available for an exclusive lunch with CFI Canada
members ahead of his evening debate with Dr. McGrath. Dr. Shermer
will be making brief remarks at noon, so it is recommended that you
arrive early. Funds raisied by this event will go toward CFI Canada’s
mission to promote science, reason, and secular values.
This event is only open to CFI Canada members in good standing.
Tickets are $75 per person. As part of the admission price, attendees
will be sent a $50 tax receipt (note that your full name and postal
address must be provided to receive your tax receipt).
Advance tickets available at:
To become a member of CFI Canada, or to renew your membership online,
- A conversation, a challenge, a risk.
- “Mythinformation”: Robert Price vs Bart Ehrman
- Unfriending the Future: Motivated Empathy in Science and Political Advocacy
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- History of Centre for Inquiry Canada
- Spoon Bending and Higher Learning
- Become a CFI Canada Student Affiliate
- Timothy Caulfield coming to Ottawa
- CFI Canada Board of Directors
- Secular Community Services
- US to tighten rules on homeopathic “medicines”
- CFI Manitoba
- A Call for Justice
- CFI Canada at the Office of Religious Freedom’s EAC
- Who is CFIC, and what do we do?
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- Upcoming Events at CFI Canada
- History and Mandate
- February 26 – Avijit Roy Day Honouring Murdered Atheist Writers in Bangladesh
- What is CFIC
- From the Cradle to the Grave
- CFIC’s Mission, Vision, and Values
- New CFIC Logo Designs
- CFIDiscourse #1: A Christian in Favour of Atheist Billboards
- 20140815_G JerryCoyne_0755 (Large)
- CFIC Discourse
- James Randi in Toronto!
- Founders of Centre for Inquiry Canada
- CFIC Library needs your help!
- Welcome to the Centre for Inquiry
- CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- Will You Make a Commitment to Reason and Science Today?
- Welcome members
- Thanks for supporting CFI Canada
- CFI Canada 2014: Moving Forward
- Centre for Inquiry Globally
- CFI Magazines
- CFI Canada Resources for Students
- In the year 2018, we should not have to say this.
- Canada’s Standing Committee on Health (HESA): Report 13
- 2018 Message from the Chair of the Board of Directors
- CFIC’s founding principles
- Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom
- CFIC Core Areas of Focus
- CFI to file human rights complaint alleging discrimination by Pattison Outdoor in Vancouver
- The Cave Painter
- 2016 CFIC AGM and Elections Notice
- Carl Sagan Day 2014 at CFI Canada!
- Update on Parliamentary Petition e-382 calling for the elimnation of Canada’s anti-blasphemy law
- Pro-Vaccination Art
- How To Help
- Assisted Dying in Canada: Where Do We Go From Here
- Supreme Court Decision
- Are Organized Religions a Possible Public Health Hazard “Vector”? Apparently we have our job to do…