CFI Canada is committed to the promotion of secularism as an essential component of protecting human rights in Canada and around the world. To view CFIC’s latest posts and secularism and human rights news, please visit our Human Rights Archives.
CFI Canada engages in education and activism that is meant to raise awareness around issues of skepticism, secularism and science-based policy. We stand on the principles that all beliefs should be subject to scrutiny and critical analysis. We also stand on the principle that no belief, no matter how strongly or deeply held, should trump basic human rights of free speech, free expression and free inquiry.
We are proud to have combated religious extremism both at home and abroad on many occasions and will continue to act as Canada’s voice against the harms of religion, pseudoscience and superstition.
Secular Human Rights Campaigns and Priorities
Secularism, the separation of church and state, is an essential tool to protect human rights. CFIC’s Stop Faith Based Bigotry campaigns focus on the religiously motivated human rights violations and criminal actions of individual, groups and states. CFIC’s secular priorities include:
- Opposition to Canada’s Blasphemous Libel Law – Criminal Code Section 296
- International Coalition Against Blasphemy Laws
- Support for Physician-Assisted Death Rights in Canada
- Condemnation of Faith-Based Violence and Bigotry
- One School System Network (Ontario): Publicly-Funded Schools Should be Strictly Secular
- Free Speech Billboard Campaigns
- Secular Asylum Seekers and International Refugee Law