February 26 – Avijit Roy Day Honouring Murdered Atheist Writers in Bangladesh
CFI Canada is proud to work with the Mukto Mona (Bangladeshi Freethinking) website to present the first Avijit Roy Day in Honour of Murdered Atheist writers, publishers and activists. February 26, 2016 marks the passing of one year since the murder of Avijit Roy and the brutal injury of Rafida Ahmed.
Time: 7.00 PM to 9.00 PM
Venue: CFIC OFFICE – 55 EGLINTON AVENUE EAST – SUITE 307
Live Webcasting Details for this event will be posted at 6:00PM on February 26th. To receive an email with details or to submit questions to the panelists, please inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Message from Avijit Roy’s Father, Professor Ajoy Roy, and Avijit’s wife, Rafida Ahmed Bonya
- Bangladesh-Canada Panel to Discuss the role of Science, Reason and Secularism for an enlightened world.
Panel Moderator: Eric Adriaans, National Executive Director of Centre for Inquiry Canada.
Panelists: Tarek Fatah, Columnist, Author, ‘The Hindu is Not My Enemy’ (Kautilya Books, 2016), ‘The Tragic Illusion of an Islamic State’ (Wiley, 2008) and ‘The Jew is Not My Enemy’ (Random, 2010)
Gretta Vosper: Atheist Minister, Author of With or Without God: Why The Way We Live is More Important Than What We Believe.
Aki Muthali: Freelance writer and feminist. Born and raised in Sri Lanka, she currently lives in Canada. She’s also an illustrator and a painter.
Dr. Christopher DiCarlo: Philosopher of Science and Ethics whose interests in cognitive evolution have taken him into the natural and social sciences. His research focuses on how and why humans reason, think, and act the way they do.
- Display of Avijit Roy’s Books and Photo Exhibition of Murdered writers.
ADMISSION TO THIS EVENT IS BY REGISTRATION ONLY: PLEASE EMAIL NED@CENTREFORINQUIRY.CA TO REQUEST ADMISSION TO THIS LIMITED SEATING EVENT. FOR THOSE UNABLE TO ATTEND IN PERSON, LIVE WEBCASTING OF THE PANEL IS PLANNED. THERE IS NO ADMISSION PRICE FOR THIS EVENT, BUT DONATIONS MAY BE MADE AT THE DOOR OR VIA PAYPAL USING THE LINK BELOW
- A Call for Justice
- An Evening with Penn Jillette- Every Day Is an Atheist Holiday!
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- CFI Manitoba
- How To Help
- Become a CFI Canada Student Affiliate
- Contact Us
- STAND UP FOR SCIENCE
- CFIDiscourse #1: A Christian in Favour of Atheist Billboards
- Thanks for supporting CFI Canada
- Timothy Caulfield coming to Ottawa
- Secular Community Services
- Reactions to CFI’s Signs and Billboards
- Spring is late – deadline extended for the Colouring Contest
- The Cave Painter
- Policy Statements
- CFI Canada Condemns All Faith-Based Violence
- Who is CFIC, and what do we do?
- CFI Canada 2014: Moving Forward
- CFI Canada 2014: Moving Forward
- Spoon Bending and Higher Learning
- Atheist Bloggers Risking Their Lives
- Carl Sagan Day 2014 at CFI Canada!
- From the Cradle to the Grave
- Assisted Dying in Canada: Where Do We Go From Here
- Grandmother Fish
- New CFIC Logo Designs
- James Randi in Toronto!
- Will You Make a Commitment to Reason and Science Today?
- Hitchmas 2015
- CFI to file human rights complaint alleging discrimination by Pattison Outdoor in Vancouver
- CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
- Merry NewtonMass
- History and Mandate
- 2015/2016 Flu Shot is a Good Idea
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- CFIC Library needs your help!
- CFI Canada at the Office of Religious Freedom’s EAC
- Are Organized Religions a Possible Public Health Hazard “Vector”? Apparently we have our job to do…
- Ask the Religion Experts: Should we boycott the Sochi Olympics?
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- Governance Documents
- International Human Rights
- Secular Humanists and Atheists Grieve With the Nation
- Canada’s Blasphemous Libel Law
- Upcoming Events at CFI Canada
- Atheist advertisements have been rejected in Vancouver – again
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- CFI Canada Resources for Students
- CFI condemns attacks on religious groups in Egypt
- CFIC’s Ethical Perspectives
- Crisis in Nepal: What can we do?
- CFI’s Equinox Celebrations in Toronto
- Secular Human Rights Campaigns
- Canada’s Standing Committee on Health (HESA): Report 13