Unfriending the Future: Motivated Empathy in Science and Political Advocacy by Michael Kruse
Unfriending the Future: Motivated Empathy in Science and Political Advocacy by Michael Kruse, Executive Director for “Bad Science Watch”
“When we are faced with the irrational and conspiratorial claims of the alternative medicine community the science minded community often responds with anger, incredulity and frustration.
Sometimes these messages are not from the easy targets of the fringe but from our own family and friends. But how often has our argumentative response been effective?
It is worth taking a look at not only our goals and our tactics, but our audience as well.
We know that psychological phenomena like the backfire effect combine with ideological anti-corporate attitudes to work against any rational arguments, we have seen it happen time and again.
This was the state of frustration we were in when we started Bad Science Watch. We made a decision to think about our audience and set goals focused on making real change.
This talk will focus on the role that empathy plays in picking targets and setting goals and the success we have had in creating a message that has resonated with our audience and supporters.”
Bad Science Watch is an independent non-profit consumer protection watchdog and science advocacy organization dedicated to improving the lives of Canadians by countering bad science. We are driven by a vision of a safer, healthier, and more prosperous Canada where critical thinking and sound science are paramount in the making of important societal decisions.
- General Public: $15 pre-event, $20 at the door
- Friends of the Centre: $10
- Students: $5
Tickets can be bought online through Eventbrite.
- Unfriending the Future: Motivated Empathy in Science and Political Advocacy by Michael Kruse
- Dr. Richard Carrier – The Scientist in the Early Roman Empire
- 2016 Calgary Pride Parade
- CFI Calgary Supports Gay Rights at the 2014 Calgary Pride Parade
- CFI Calgary – Faith on the Plate 2.0 – Dr. Camille D. Ryan
- A Talk by Gary Bauslaugh – Assisted Death in Canada – What Went Wrong
- Skeptics in The Pub
- What’s happening in Calgary?
- silence of the labs