CFIC Discourse #5: Blasphemy
As Christmas approaches, there is one item on my wish list that requires a response from the federal government. Last December Ali Ehsassi sponsored a petition to repeal Section 296 of the criminal code, which allows prosecution for blasphemous libel. Although it has not recently been enforced and we have the Charter of Rights protecting freedom of expression, we need to set an example for countries that not only have these laws, but also enforce them.
All countries should respect religion, but should not have laws on their books that allow people to use religion to oppress different faiths or the absence of faith. In the United States there are laws on the books that make it illegal for an atheist to hold political office. They make no attempt to enforce them, but with the crazy direction they have taken in the last election, I’m not holding my breath for the future.
This year we opened our arms to Muslim refugees who were brutalized by religious zealotry on their way out and stigmatized as terrorists on the way in. Let us tell them that they can freely practice their faith in Canada because we value freedom of expression and modern civilization does not condone laws that penalize religious discussion.
This letter by CFIC member Russell Pangborn was recently published in the Toronto Star
UPDATE: See also Purging Criminal Code of defunct ‘zombie laws’ no simple task, which cites the anti-blasphemy law among a list of targets for legal reform.
- Secularism Discussion
- Canada’s Blasphemy Law
- Iceland Removes Blasphemy Law!
- Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom
- CFI Canada at the Office of Religious Freedom’s EAC
- Atheist Bloggers Risking Their Lives
- Canada is Repealing its Blasphemy Law
- CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- Living Without Religion
- Raif Badawi
- Charlie Hebdo and the Question of Blasphemy
- Canada’s Blasphemous Libel Law
- International Human Rights
- CFIC’s Ethical Perspectives
- Against Quebec’s Bill C21
- CFIDiscourse #1: A Christian in Favour of Atheist Billboards
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- CFIC Library needs your help!
- Grandmother Fish
- Update on Parliamentary Petition e-382 calling for the elimnation of Canada’s anti-blasphemy law
- SOS: Secular Sobriety
- Secular Human Rights Campaigns
- A Call for Justice
- Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign
- CFIC Discourse
- Support Secularism in British Columbia
- Winnipeg Bus Shelter Ads Highlight Human Rights Violations
- Secular Humanists Grieve with the LGBTQ Community of Orlando, FLA
- Assisted Dying in Canada: Where Do We Go From Here
- CFI Canada Condemns All Faith-Based Violence
- Physician-Assisted Death
- Supreme Court Decision
- Not Over Yet! Humanists Should Speak out on the Right to Die with Dignity
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- CFI Canada Board of Directors
- History and Mandate
- Membership levels
- Become a Member of CFIC
- A conversation, a challenge, a risk.
- Vaccines Cause Optimism
- Press Centre
- The Cave Painter
- CFIC Branches
- In the year 2018, we should not have to say this.
- Brief Overview of GMOs
- CFI to file human rights complaint alleging discrimination by Pattison Outdoor in Vancouver
- Are Organized Religions a Possible Public Health Hazard “Vector”? Apparently we have our job to do…
- From the Cradle to the Grave
- CFIDiscourse #2: On Pseudo-skepticism and the Vice of Open-Mindedness
- CFI Membership
- International Women’s Day
- Is God a Figment of our Imagination?
- CFIC Condemns Superstition-based Violence
- CFIC’s Mission, Vision, and Values
- Could Earth Collide with an Asteroid?
- Welcome members