CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
CFI Canada echoes the words of Stephan Oberreit, Director of Amnesty International France, in the wake of the death of 12 people at the Paris offices of Charlie Hebdo:
This is a dark day for freedom of expression and a vibrant press culture. But above all, it is an appalling human tragedy.
CFI Canada condemns the two gunmen and their motivation for killing at least 12 people and wounding at least 10 others at the Paris office of the newspaper Charlie Hebdo. Eric Adriaans, National Executive Director of CFI Canada said,”It is difficult to put into words how deeply the attack at Charlie Hebdo affects secular humanists and atheists – how heartbreaking and grievous these murders are for us, but at the same time how much reinforcement it demands of our conviction to oppose religious extremists. When people of faith attempt to intimidate, silence, harm, torture, persecute and murder others, we must respond with condemnation and solidarity. We must oppose all acts and forms of faith-based oppression and violence.”
CFI Canada joins with CFI Transnational and all organizations that stand in solidarity with the people of Charlie Hebdo in support of their right to free speech.
We are heartbroken by the unthinkable and cowardly attack at the magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris today, and outraged that such a barbaric act was a response to journalists and satirists exercising their right to free expression.
CFI Canada pledges to continue its mission “to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry.”
Update # 1 – January 7, 2015
For those interested to recall the Free Inqury article (Volume 26, Issue 3) from April? May 2006 which detailed Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten depiction of Muhammad, here is a link.
We recommend reading the Canadian Atheist post by Diana MacPherson.
Update # 2 – January 7, 2015
Charlie Hebdo has provided a PDF document of Je Suis Charlie on their website; CFIC is investigating our ability to produce Je Suis Charlie buttons at our office for distribution; if you’d like a Je Suis Charlie button to display your solidarity, grief and outrage…please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Update # 3 – January 8, 2015
CFI Canada issued a call to the Canadian government to protect the freedom of speech by disposing of Criminal Code Section 296: Canada’s Anti-Blasphemy law.
To follow the coverage and debate here are a few links:
Follow Media Coverage of this Issue
- Charlie Hebdo and the Question of Blasphemy
- Canada’s Blasphemous Libel Law
- Raif Badawi
- Iceland Removes Blasphemy Law!
- Are Organized Religions a Possible Public Health Hazard “Vector”? Apparently we have our job to do…
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- 2015/2016 Flu Shot is a Good Idea
- Atheist Bloggers Risking Their Lives
- Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- From the Cradle to the Grave
- CFI Canada Condemns All Faith-Based Violence
- Secular Human Rights Campaigns
- Supreme Court Decision
- CFIC Condemns Superstition-based Violence
- Grandmother Fish
- CFIC Library needs your help!
- A Call for Justice
- CFIDiscourse #1: A Christian in Favour of Atheist Billboards
- Canada Deserves Better Than Pope John Paul II Day
- CFI condemns attacks on religious groups in Egypt
- Secular Humanists Grieve with the LGBTQ Community of Orlando, FLA
- CFI to file human rights complaint alleging discrimination by Pattison Outdoor in Vancouver
- CFI Canada at the Office of Religious Freedom’s EAC
- Atheist advertisements have been rejected in Vancouver – again
- Secular Community Services
- Another Pediatric Death by World View
- Carl Sagan Day 2014 at CFI Canada!
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- Press Centre
- History and Mandate
- An Evening with Penn Jillette- Every Day Is an Atheist Holiday!
- Crisis in Nepal: What can we do?
- Who is CFIC, and what do we do?
- International Human Rights
- How To Help
- LGTBQ people not welcome at BC law school
- James Randi in Toronto!
- Canada’s Standing Committee on Health (HESA): Report 13
- Will You Make a Commitment to Reason and Science Today?
- Spring is late – deadline extended for the Colouring Contest
- Winnipeg Bus Shelter Ads Highlight Human Rights Violations
- Secular Humanists and Atheists Grieve With the Nation
- CFI Membership
- Governance Documents
- Spoon Bending and Higher Learning
- February 26 – Avijit Roy Day Honouring Murdered Atheist Writers in Bangladesh
- Thanks for supporting CFI Canada
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- Physician-Assisted Death
- Policy Statements
- Catholic School Board Breaking the Law, Complaint Alleges
- Become a CFI Canada Student Affiliate
- CFIC’s Ethical Perspectives
- CFI Manitoba