Catholic School Board Breaking the Law, Complaint Alleges
TORONTO, ONTARIO — (March 11, 2014) – The Mississauga Catholic School Board is systematically denying students their constitutional right to form Gay Straight Alliances, in direct violation of Bill 13, Accepting Schools Act.
In a complaint to the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, student Christopher Karas documents a coordinated effort by the Mississauga Catholic Board, directed by Catholic bishops, and executed by staff at École Secondaire Catholique Sainte-Famille, to impede the formation and functioning of a group to support gay and lesbian students.
“I decided to start a group to combat homophobia at my school,” said Karas. “I couldn’t imagine that move would be the catalyst for a new round of homophobic bullying, this time from the administration.”
The school took 20 months to approve Karas’ request, then stipulated that the school principal or vice-principal uncharacteristically oversee all meetings, and now censors the group’s identity through a ban on gay names and symbols.
“The Catholic school system’s report card is abysmal,” said Justin Trottier of the Centre for Inquiry (CFI). “Banning atheist books, suspending pro-life students and violating the constitutional rights of LGBTQ youth. Constant human right conflicts are inherent in a tax-payer funded religious school system. CFI is therefore calling on the Ontario government to finally defund Roman Catholic schools.”
Karas will organize “Dare to Stand Out,” a conference (May 5-9) hosted by Jer’s Vision, to train students across Ontario in how to launch GSAs. Despite intense student interest, there are zero GSAs in Catholic schools, which Karas plans to change.
His efforts are supported by the CFI, the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, Egale Canada, Queer Ontario and other pro-rights groups.
An exclusive interview with Karas has been posted online to Think Again! TV: http://youtu.be/iu9_14aEYno
- Winnipeg Bus Shelter Ads Highlight Human Rights Violations
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- Secular Human Rights Campaigns
- Support Secularism in British Columbia
- Vaccine records – Who’s responsible?
- History of Centre for Inquiry Canada
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- Are Organized Religions a Possible Public Health Hazard “Vector”? Apparently we have our job to do…
- 2018 Message from the Chair of the Board of Directors
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- CFIC’s Mission, Vision, and Values
- Against Quebec’s Bill C21
- Policy Statements
- Secular Humanists and Atheists Grieve With the Nation
- CFI to file human rights complaint alleging discrimination by Pattison Outdoor in Vancouver
- Who is CFIC, and what do we do?
- Canada Deserves Better Than Pope John Paul II Day
- Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign
- Spring is late – deadline extended for the Colouring Contest
- Membership levels
- Iceland Removes Blasphemy Law!
- Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom
- CFI Canada Board of Directors
- A Call for Justice
- Governance Documents
- International Human Rights
- How To Help
- History and Mandate
- Crisis in Nepal: What can we do?
- CFI Canada Resources for Students
- Canada’s Blasphemous Libel Law
- Vaccines Cause Optimism
- Secular Humanists Grieve with the LGBTQ Community of Orlando, FLA
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- Election Process
- Not Over Yet! Humanists Should Speak out on the Right to Die with Dignity
- Secularism Discussion
- Founders of Centre for Inquiry Canada
- Centre for Inquiry Globally
- Update on Parliamentary Petition e-382 calling for the elimnation of Canada’s anti-blasphemy law
- Spoon Bending and Higher Learning
- Raif Badawi
- Canada is Repealing its Blasphemy Law
- CFI Manitoba
- Supreme Court Decision
- About CFIC
- CFIC Condemns Superstition-based Violence
- CFIC Logo Designs
- CFI Canada Condemns All Faith-Based Violence
- CFIC’s founding principles
- Become a CFI Canada Student Affiliate
- Problems with PayPal?
- CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
- Welcome to CFI-Victoria
- February 26 – Avijit Roy Day Honouring Murdered Atheist Writers in Bangladesh
- Another Pediatric Death by World View