Catholic School Board Breaking the Law, Complaint Alleges
TORONTO, ONTARIO — (March 11, 2014) – The Mississauga Catholic School Board is systematically denying students their constitutional right to form Gay Straight Alliances, in direct violation of Bill 13, Accepting Schools Act.
In a complaint to the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, student Christopher Karas documents a coordinated effort by the Mississauga Catholic Board, directed by Catholic bishops, and executed by staff at École Secondaire Catholique Sainte-Famille, to impede the formation and functioning of a group to support gay and lesbian students.
“I decided to start a group to combat homophobia at my school,” said Karas. “I couldn’t imagine that move would be the catalyst for a new round of homophobic bullying, this time from the administration.”
The school took 20 months to approve Karas’ request, then stipulated that the school principal or vice-principal uncharacteristically oversee all meetings, and now censors the group’s identity through a ban on gay names and symbols.
“The Catholic school system’s report card is abysmal,” said Justin Trottier of the Centre for Inquiry (CFI). “Banning atheist books, suspending pro-life students and violating the constitutional rights of LGBTQ youth. Constant human right conflicts are inherent in a tax-payer funded religious school system. CFI is therefore calling on the Ontario government to finally defund Roman Catholic schools.”
Karas will organize “Dare to Stand Out,” a conference (May 5-9) hosted by Jer’s Vision, to train students across Ontario in how to launch GSAs. Despite intense student interest, there are zero GSAs in Catholic schools, which Karas plans to change.
His efforts are supported by the CFI, the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, Egale Canada, Queer Ontario and other pro-rights groups.
An exclusive interview with Karas has been posted online to Think Again! TV: http://youtu.be/iu9_14aEYno
- Winnipeg Bus Shelter Ads Highlight Human Rights Violations
- Secular Human Rights Campaigns
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- Secular Humanists and Atheists Grieve With the Nation
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- Are Organized Religions a Possible Public Health Hazard “Vector”? Apparently we have our job to do…
- Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom
- CFI to file human rights complaint alleging discrimination by Pattison Outdoor in Vancouver
- CFI condemns attacks on religious groups in Egypt
- Supreme Court Decision
- A Call for Justice
- Atheist advertisements have been rejected in Vancouver – again
- From the Cradle to the Grave
- International Human Rights
- Policy Statements
- Canada Deserves Better Than Pope John Paul II Day
- Raif Badawi
- Crisis in Nepal: What can we do?
- Who is CFIC, and what do we do?
- Canada’s Blasphemous Libel Law
- Secular Humanists Grieve with the LGBTQ Community of Orlando, FLA
- Atheist Bloggers Risking Their Lives
- Governance Documents
- History and Mandate
- How To Help
- Iceland Removes Blasphemy Law!
- Not Over Yet! Humanists Should Speak out on the Right to Die with Dignity
- CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
- STAND UP FOR SCIENCE
- Spring is late – deadline extended for the Colouring Contest
- CFI US Presents: Women in Secularism III
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- Living Without Religion
- Ask the Religion Experts: Should we boycott the Sochi Olympics?
- CFI Canada Condemns All Faith-Based Violence
- CFIC’s Ethical Perspectives
- Spoon Bending and Higher Learning
- Assisted Dying in Canada: Where Do We Go From Here
- New CFIC Logo Designs
- CFIC Condemns Superstition-based Violence
- Canada’s Standing Committee on Health (HESA): Report 13
- Charlie Hebdo and the Question of Blasphemy
- February 26 – Avijit Roy Day Honouring Murdered Atheist Writers in Bangladesh
- Another Pediatric Death by World View
- Secular Community Services
- CFI Manitoba
- Press Centre
- CFIDiscourse #2: On Pseudo-skepticism and the Vice of Open-Mindedness
- 2015/2016 Flu Shot is a Good Idea
- CFI Canada Resources for Students
- Will You Make a Commitment to Reason and Science Today?
- Pro-Vaccination Art
- CFI Canada at the Office of Religious Freedom’s EAC
- Welcome to the Centre for Inquiry