Another Pediatric Death by World View
[excerpted from an article by Clay Jones at Science-Based Medicine]
On March 18th, 2012, physicians at Alberta Children’s Hospital made the always-difficult decision to remove 19-month-old Ezekiel Stephan from life support after five days under their care. Carrying the diagnosis of brain death, there was sadly no life to support at that point. The events that led to his tragic death are currently the focus of an ongoing trial where Ezekiel’s parents stand charged with “failing to provide the necessaries of life.” If convicted, they face up to five years in prison as well as loss of custody of their remaining children.
The charges against the Stephan family are based on concerns that they failed to seek appropriate medical care while he suffered from bacterial meningitis, a deadly infection involving the brain and spinal cord, for several days. Revelations from court testimony so far have revealed that the Ezekiel’s parents chose instead to treat him at home with various herbal remedies. This isn’t surprising considering that Ezekiel is also unvaccinated and his grandfather operates a notorious herbal supplement company which sells cures for bipolar disorder and autism.
So far the jury has heard from a nurse family friend who visited the home a few days before Ezekiel died and who recommended that they bring him to a doctor for possible meningitis. Instead he was brought to a local naturopathy clinic and received an herbal concoction meant to “boost the immune system.” Only once the poor child had stopped breathing did the family call 911, but it was too late. Testimony from Alberta Children’s Hospital pediatricians revealed that he was likely already brain dead by the time he arrived by emergency transport.
So who is to blame for Ezekiel’s suffering and death? Certainly his parents, and their warped anti-medicine world view, should be held accountable. But this tragic case also raises serious concerns about a system which licenses practitioners of pseudomedicine and allows them to practice their dangerous nonsense on vulnerable children. Adding to the controversy, Ezekiel’s parents are now claiming that a conspiracy between the Crown and the pharmaceutical industry may be at work.
- Physician-Assisted Death
- Not Over Yet! Humanists Should Speak out on the Right to Die with Dignity
- From the Cradle to the Grave
- Atheist Bloggers Risking Their Lives
- Crisis in Nepal: What can we do?
- Secular Human Rights Campaigns
- Are Organized Religions a Possible Public Health Hazard “Vector”? Apparently we have our job to do…
- Assisted Dying in Canada: Where Do We Go From Here
- International Women’s Day
- CFIC Condemns Superstition-based Violence
- Catholic School Board Breaking the Law, Complaint Alleges
- Canada’s Standing Committee on Health (HESA): Report 13
- A Call for Justice
- James Randi in Toronto!
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- Winnipeg Bus Shelter Ads Highlight Human Rights Violations
- 2015/2016 Flu Shot is a Good Idea
- CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- Ask the Religion Experts: Should we boycott the Sochi Olympics?
- Canada Deserves Better Than Pope John Paul II Day
- Iceland Removes Blasphemy Law!
- Spoon Bending and Higher Learning
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- Charlie Hebdo and the Question of Blasphemy
- Timothy Caulfield coming to Ottawa
- The Cave Painter
- Supreme Court Decision
- Canada’s Blasphemous Libel Law
- CFIC’s Ethical Perspectives
- Raif Badawi
- February 26 – Avijit Roy Day Honouring Murdered Atheist Writers in Bangladesh
- Living Without Religion
- CFI Canada Condemns All Faith-Based Violence
- CFI condemns attacks on religious groups in Egypt
- Secular Community Services
- Secular Humanists and Atheists Grieve With the Nation
- Who is CFIC, and what do we do?
- CFI US Presents: Women in Secularism III
- CFIDiscourse #2: On Pseudo-skepticism and the Vice of Open-Mindedness
- Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom
- History and Mandate
- Spring is late – deadline extended for the Colouring Contest
- Carl Sagan Day 2014 at CFI Canada!
- Grandmother Fish
- Cupping: Premier pseudoscience for the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- CFIDiscourse #1: A Christian in Favour of Atheist Billboards
- Will You Make a Commitment to Reason and Science Today?
- CFI to file human rights complaint alleging discrimination by Pattison Outdoor in Vancouver