Another Pediatric Death by World View
On March 18th, 2012, physicians at Alberta Children’s Hospital made the always-difficult decision to remove 19-month-old Ezekiel Stephan from life support after five days under their care. Carrying the diagnosis of brain death, there was sadly no life to support at that point. The events that led to his tragic death are currently the focus of an ongoing trial where Ezekiel’s parents stand charged with “failing to provide the necessaries of life.” If convicted, they face up to five years in prison as well as loss of custody of their remaining children.
The charges against the Stephan family are based on concerns that they failed to seek appropriate medical care while he suffered from bacterial meningitis, a deadly infection involving the brain and spinal cord, for several days. Revelations from court testimony so far have revealed that the Ezekiel’s parents chose instead to treat him at home with various herbal remedies. This isn’t surprising considering that Ezekiel is also unvaccinated and his grandfather operates a notorious herbal supplement company which sells cures for bipolar disorder and autism.
So far the jury has heard from a nurse family friend who visited the home a few days before Ezekiel died and who recommended that they bring him to a doctor for possible meningitis. Instead he was brought to a local naturopathy clinic and received an herbal concoction meant to “boost the immune system.” Only once the poor child had stopped breathing did the family call 911, but it was too late. Testimony from Alberta Children’s Hospital pediatricians revealed that he was likely already brain dead by the time he arrived by emergency transport.
So who is to blame for Ezekiel’s suffering and death? Certainly his parents, and their warped anti-medicine world view, should be held accountable. But this tragic case also raises serious concerns about a system which licenses practitioners of pseudomedicine and allows them to practice their dangerous nonsense on vulnerable children. Adding to the controversy, Ezekiel’s parents are now claiming that a conspiracy between the Crown and the pharmaceutical industry may be at work.
- Physician-Assisted Death
- Atheist Bloggers Risking Their Lives
- Not Over Yet! Humanists Should Speak out on the Right to Die with Dignity
- From the Cradle to the Grave
- Crisis in Nepal: What can we do?
- Are Organized Religions a Possible Public Health Hazard “Vector”? Apparently we have our job to do…
- A Call for Justice
- International Women’s Day
- Secular Human Rights Campaigns
- James Randi in Toronto!
- Assisted Dying in Canada: Where Do We Go From Here
- CFIC Condemns Superstition-based Violence
- Vaccine records – Who’s responsible?
- CFI Condemns Murders at Charlie Hebdo
- Canada Deserves Better Than Pope John Paul II Day
- Canada’s Standing Committee on Health (HESA): Report 13
- Iceland Removes Blasphemy Law!
- Charlie Hebdo and the Question of Blasphemy
- The Cave Painter
- Secular, Humanist and Freethought Links
- CFIC Bylaws
- Canada’s Blasphemous Libel Law
- Raif Badawi
- February 26 – Avijit Roy Day Honouring Murdered Atheist Writers in Bangladesh
- Living Without Religion
- CFI Canada Student Campus Groups
- Unfriending the Future: Motivated Empathy in Science and Political Advocacy
- Update on Parliamentary Petition e-382 calling for the elimnation of Canada’s anti-blasphemy law
- Secular Community Services
- CFI Canada Condemns All Faith-Based Violence
- Who is CFIC, and what do we do?
- 2015/2016 Flu Shot is a Good Idea
- CFIDiscourse #2: On Pseudo-skepticism and the Vice of Open-Mindedness
- Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom
- Spring is late – deadline extended for the Colouring Contest
- Carl Sagan Day 2014 at CFI Canada!
- Supreme Court Decision
- Grandmother Fish
- Cupping: Premier pseudoscience for the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
- HUMAN RIGHTS
- History and Mandate
- Support Secularism in British Columbia
- CFIC’s Ethical Perspectives
- Public Promotion of Religion In Quebec Schools
- CFI Canada Board of Directors
- 2018 Message from the Chair of the Board of Directors
- CFIDiscourse #1: A Christian in Favour of Atheist Billboards
- US to tighten rules on homeopathic “medicines”
- CFIC Discourse
- Will You Make a Commitment to Reason and Science Today?
- Spoon Bending and Higher Learning
- Is God a Figment of our Imagination?
- Canada is Repealing its Blasphemy Law
- CFI to file human rights complaint alleging discrimination by Pattison Outdoor in Vancouver